Sunday, May 19, 2019

Promotional Video, Evaluation and Feedback From the Client



Feedback from the Client (Damien Jones - ACE Ceilings Ltd.) received via email.

Hi Max

Firstly many thanks for the email and link to the promo video that you have produced.

I have attached the Group Release formed signed by all involved.

I would like to take this opportunity to offer feedback on the lead up and including the production of the video.

Firstly I am very impressed on how you took the initiative and time to understand what we do and why we do it at ACE, and it has to be said due to the reactive nature of our business and my busy schedule you did a good job in managing the time line and flow of information to get this over the line.

You soon understood that we were looking for  something that showed people what we actually did and quickly put ideas together to get that message across, however I did feel that you could have got carried away when you suggested an interview style voice over.

Once we have the approval meeting the small changes we requested made the video into something that we will definitely use, practically when potential clients don’t understand our processes.

Good luck with your course.

Regards

Damian 


Evaluation:

I decided to incorporate my Shotlist post into this evaluation rather than have them as separate posts but rather than full sentences I will aim for a more - bullet point and give detail - approach. 
Below are my listed shots for most of my final promotional video. This will be noted by either this line or something similar: "After the next few shots". These phrases will stand alone and be made obvious to the reader. 

Note: There is no diegetic sound - the only sound is the song I chose for this video, this plays throughout.

The first shot is:
  • Opening of logo 
  • 4 seconds long 
  • No camera angle or movement - Other than my own shot that I got when filming in the facility, they are static camera shots of images or 
  • The only sound is non-diegetic
What I chose to do for this video is to have a structured nature to it. Not necessarily a narrative but something so that when I am editing I have sections to ut the footage down so then it won't appear as a montage. It also makes it easier for an audience to follow and able to cut between certain time-codes if they need to look back at a certain step they may need to shed more light on. 

The second shot is: Step 1. In this, the purpose of this shot is to show off the first section when it comes to a new project that they need to build for a customer. This begins with CGI Models so that ACE know what the product is going to look like and so that they know what shapes need cutting, folding, welding etc. 

The next few shots basically show off the idea with different panning and tilting motions around the object. These shots were recorded on an employees computer and sent over to me so that I can help show the audience to understand how the stages works. Its a relatively short process as long as the customer has some idea in what they'd like to be done but at the same time, plenty of ideas and standard imagery is thrown around to interest the customer. Yet at the same time, ACE are wanting to create unique styles for each project. 
For Step 2 I wanted a more exciting shot so I chose an extra piece of footage from the welding stage but you will see that that with the 'Step' shots I wanted to use segmented style shots. These shots can be found at 0:33, 1:17, 1:43, 2:20, 2:58 and 3:32. I took inspiration from live news segments, where normally a voiceover is used. This is what I wanted to achieve but instead I chose to just have text due to the availability of my voice actor. We did record the majority of the text shown in the video but when i came to finally editing the video, I wanted to add more and it didn't fit to have both text and a voiceover. So to avoid this, I just went with the text option and my client agrees that it suits this way more when they first saw the video. 
The text itself is just in a bold font in full capital letters. There is no particular reason why I chose this but I just wanted to make it obvious to the audience. I stuck with white as the colour of the text too and even though at some points you can't see all of the word due to the background, I tried it with black and grey to see how it looked. It looked better with white. In terms of timing, I just made sure I could read it all and look at the images on screen after, for some, it may require them to watch the video a couple of times to get the full affect but when I presented it to the client and the Analytics Manager they agreed that they could read it so the timing was good and not too rushed. 
Another thing which some people may miss is the logo in the top left hand corner. I changed it so it is slightly see through but still prominent so you can still see it. As a watermark, it reminds the viewer who they are watching but doesn't get in the way and may even be a subconscious message to the audience what their name is, it makes it easier to remember the name.
In Step 2 and onwards until the final section of the video it shows a series of shots that were all handheld but with some of it shot on my iPhone 7 Plus with a phone gimbal (DJI Osmo Mobile 2) and other shots were filmed on my Canon 650D with standard lens. The Osmo allowed me to get smoother shots and a cinematic feel. I was also able to give nice effects when speeding up time and slowing it down. These can be found at 2:04 and 2:20.
Overall for each section I was able to edit the appropriate footage to that while text was shown to explain how that section worked. This is what myself and my client agreed on before production.
For the last section, which shows off finished products in use or at locations, I was only able to acquire images. I imagined first that I wanted this part to look similar to how IKEA show off their products in show rooms but unfortunately, this was not the case as they don't have them. Therefore, the only way I could get these shots was to travel around the country in order to get the shot myself. My client told me that it's not a big issue and he was happy for me to not go to this length. Also because I am not currently driving, I would have to go by public transport. All in all, it was too much effort for just a small part of the video and my client urged me to just stick with the images.
Looking back on the final video I would changed how the last section of images is shown. It make it a little more synced I should've edited it so that the cuts of each image happen on the beat of the song and I could've cut some of the footage out so that the jerkiness of some of the shot appear more smooth as I did not use my Osmo for the whole of the video.
Closing off on the same image as the beginning, The company logo and with website and tagline is a reminder of the. name of the business, what they do and where you can contact them I feel is a great and simple way for the customer to be reminded of who they just saw in action and hopefully gives them enough enthusiasm to contact them in order to produce another piece of work for the company.
I was informed that it will be posted on their LinkedIn account and potentially on their website. As you can see above from the feedback of the client, they were very pleased with the result. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Development in Editing Technology

"The very earliest filmmakers were afraid to edit film shots together because they assumed that splicing together different shots of d...