When first coming up with these questions I didn't know what kind of video I wanted to make. By the end of the writing process for the questions I decided on a song and had written down some ides of what I'd like to include in the piece. Therefore, the first few questions are more vague and not aimed at what I then chose to do. The first question shows that the genre that the people I asked the most are into Hip-Hop. If I hadn't decided that song/genre I would like to look at I would've gone with this decision as the point of asking the questions in the first place are to be a 'yes man' in order to make your audience happy. In this case, if I chose Hip-Hop then my audience would be larger as more people enjoy that genre of music.
For the second question these answers aren't that prominent as they're fairly spread out. I find this helpful as, to most, it isn't very important if I choose one over the other as a similar amount of an audience would still be interested. Meaning, I could focus on a stage performance and not included location at all and it would still be an effective video. For example 'All My Life - Foo Fighters'.
For the third question, everyone who answered gave similar yet different opinions rather than it being treated as a tally chart. But I asked this due to the fact that I wanted to know why they chose the style of video they did. As I chose Mainly B-role clips, edited into a montage, and a few clips that tie into the lyrics of the song I chose I would say that my music video's style is most like: location and experimental. Their answers gave me an insight why they like that style and what is most effective when I am in the planning stages of making the piece.
As the next questions results were mainly 'yes' I helped me decide on whether I should pick one song over an other. The song I chose (Hollywood - The Money War) started off with the lyrics "So you burnt your last cigarette down in Hollywood". From this, I thought that a really good idea would be let this line become a reality, therefore, I will include the respective shots that execute the act of smoking the last cigarette.
As the next question is split between 'yes' and 'sometimes' it is clear that it is a good idea to include the artist in the video. However in this case I won't be able to do this. Overall it's not practical but still helpful as I know that an audience would like to see the artist in the video. But like it says just below, the answers from this question state that it isn't vital for the artist to appear.
As an editing exercise a while ago was to edit on the beat or time the beat of a song to an action, I asked this question. Luckily, everyone agreed that it was a good idea to include. I will make sure this effect is in my final video.
Unfortunately, the next question isn't that helpful to me as I knew beforehand what shots I should include by raw knowledge on different types of shots but I wanted to know if there was a particular type of shot that I should not include. In this case, it doesn't seem apparent. Overall, this question isn't very helpful to me.
The majority of people I asked liked I song that I proposed to them I was interested in filming. This is more relevant as if it ended up being that not a lot of people liked the song I would change it to something that more enjoyed so I know it'll do well. When I asked them to fill out and answer my questions I thought it would be a good idea to play the song on repeat so that they're able to listen to it a few times to help them decide and so I know that they dod like it rather than them just saying they do.
The last question, I don't really find relevant as it doesn't really develop or affect how my video look when its finished. however I would like to include a message as the end of the song to give people, who are more naive, to understand that the world isn't all 'sunshine and rainbows'. Luckily, one person gave a great answer; that when thinking about the word Hollywood, they said "Fortune. However, it's dark side suggests addiction and loneliness". This is something I feel is very important when it comes to the media as how a lot of it can seem unreal and changed to fit how they think people should view it. Which is why that as the song fades the camera will pull back into a wider frame, showing off a film crew as they film this video. Proving how so many things are staged and fake, just to make it seem better than it actually is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Development in Editing Technology
"The very earliest filmmakers were afraid to edit film shots together because they assumed that splicing together different shots of d...
-
This year I was first introduced to the world of editing and in my spare time I would watch a lot of videos. While watching, I found myself ...
-
First we see a long shot. Slowly, the camera moves forward as Tyler is working on something mechanical. With the mise-en-scene nearly in t...
-
New Wave · Birth of the auteur and rise of camera style · Artistic movement – French influence as profound · S...
No comments:
Post a Comment