Thursday, March 21, 2019

Music Video and Evaluation



After taking inspiration from Stella Donnelley's 'Lunch', I thought that a simple way of gaining footage was to create a compilation that somewhat fits the feel of the song. While coming up with ideas for this piece, I wanted to include footage that was specific to the lyrics, in this case, the first "So you burnt your last cigarette down in Hollywood". I wanted to recreate this as then the audience would be able to tell how serious I am about this piece. That being said, I feel as though it doesn't fit as well with the rest of the footage due to it's light-heartedness. Therefore, if I was to do it again, I'd either pick a different song which fits the feel to the footage I want or I'd change the footage itself to fit the tone all the way through; as I feel that the first 20 seconds do, and the rest are almost too happy. Something that I wasn't sure on but chose not to do in the end was to have more of the video in slow motion to fit the tempo of the song. I did this because I didn't want the whole video to be slow as this can appear boring.

I was happy with how the intro came out, as the camera was positioned in front of the bars, giving the sense of entrapment. To emphasis how Hollywood can be a difficult place to be and even more in terms of trying to become famous. It's a lot harder that people think it is at first. The main point that I was trying to get across during this music video was that you'll always have friends and people around you to make you laugh, which is why the repeated phrase "I don't want you to fade - fade away" is so important. Knowing what you have before you lose it is such a powerful and wise feeling. Much better than only knowing what you have until it's gone, even more so when you may not get it back.

Something that was really pleased with was how certain actions in the shots and the cuts of those shots are timed with the beat of the song. In my questionnaire, I asked a similar question in oder to find out if an audience liked that technical aspect of a music video. They all answered "yes". I was glad about this and managed to include this on several occasions. Even some were accidental, at one point the camera is on a couple of my friends and the lyrics say "They say there's no good people left down in Hollywood". In my opinion, the statement is backwards as they are good people but from this I feel comforted that this clip is playing over the top of the song.

The filming process was very simple and I actually got the main portion of the clips done just by the equipment that I used. I was going to research other ways that I may want to use and discuss the pros and cons of each but my mind was set on my phone while using a motorised gimbal to help give my shots a more smooth/professional feel. In a couple of the clips I used, the audience can instantly tell where I didn't use it. Im happy with my one and only resource as this is something I wouldn't change when it comes to production.

In terms of inspiration, I got all I need from one song, The downside to this is that I may have used those aspects too much as it may seem that I just copied that style. However, if you are unfamiliar to her songs, and this song in particular then an audience may this that it's fairly unique and it's style is different compared to mainstream videos. Luckily while editing I was able to include the subtitles of what me friends were saying, which is better than guessing as I didn't want to clips to get in the way of the audio of the song so I muted the clips and added subtitles so that an audience is still aware of what is being said. Even more so when they were saying some very funny things.

While editing I was unsure on how I should have finished it off but luckily while filming the final clip used is what I filmed and even then I thought that was be great to finish off the video as the songs fades away and that is what is being shown. I believe it fits so I'm happy with how it turned out as a whole.

1 comment:

Development in Editing Technology

"The very earliest filmmakers were afraid to edit film shots together because they assumed that splicing together different shots of d...